Friday, January 06, 2012

a Study in Sherlock: I am SHERlocked

hey all,

I am not going to be giving full reviews of the latest BBC series of Sherlock until they are available here in North America on dvd and Masterpiece (because, *ahem*, I probably shouldn't have seen it anyways and there are plenty of fans on this side of the pond who are waiting more patiently than I). Needless to say, I was flabberghasted by how AMAZING the first episode of the new series was. A Scandal in Belgravia cast a perfectly strong Irene Adler ( Lara Pulver) to mentally match wits with the always- delightful Benedict Cumberbatch.
Some viewers found this risque and I do agree with those who thought that the BBC should've shelved this episode until after 9 pm; but it is discreet in its way and I had fun with the innuendo, sexual politics
 ( challenging our much-asexual hero) and spice and sass peppering the eccentric world of Baker Street. If anything, Scandal in Bohemia, perfectly loans itself to this sensual interplay.  It is very much about gender-struggle and who has power; Moffatt just ushered it into the 21st Century where things are much spoken of and less conservatively implied.

There are plenty of insider jokes in the first episode for we Sherlockians and enough of an homage to stay true to the spirit of Scandal in Bohemia-- one of my all-time favourite short stories of the Canon.



If you manage to see it before-hand, you are in for a treat. Moffatt and Gatiss are even stronger in the writing department this year ( if that is at all possible) and I am itching for Hounds of Baskerville on Sunday.

A trailer featuring the gorgeous Lara Pulver as Irene Adler ... a perfect match for our great detective.


3 comments:

Kailana said...

I really need to finish the first season. It is on my to-do list for the weekend...

Charity said...

I thought it was a shame it had partial nudity in it, because that kind of tainted the whole experience -- but overall it was a great episode.

Unfortunately... this Irene Adler is not nearly as cunning as the old one, and in many ways, less of a feminist! This one has a man calling the shots whereas the "real" Irene was smart all on her own, hence why Holmes was so impressed with her.

Aarti said...

Ooh, I'm so excited to see it! I think I am more excited for Sherlock than Downton Abbey, quite honestly.