Thursday, September 04, 2014

ACFW: mix and mingle

I love Laurie Tomlinson. Face it, you do too! So, she is hosting this pre-conference Mix and Mingle before we all head to St Louis in a few weeks and here go I!

This is my second ACFW conference and last year I didn't make it to any sessions because I was too busy socializing. I suspect this will ring true again. See you at Starbies! Or, over a glass of pinot at the bar!
this whole writing thing makes me feel like this turtle wanting to take a bite of this strawberry


Name: Rachel McMillan

Location: Toronto, Canada

What you write/tagline/trademark: Genre: Historical Romance/ Tagline: I solemnly Swear my Heroines Will Never Trip over Milk Pails/ Trademark: sarcasm… now with too many semi-colons.

Place in the book world: Pre-published author represented by William K Jensen Agency. Book on submission so writing another book---because that’s what authors do ( first book was passed on, like, everywhere… revolving door, thy name is Rachel). I intend on pitching both the one on submission so editors can put a face to a name and hear my annoying Canadian accent as well as present the novel-in-embryo for my latest WIP ( a two-parter set during the American Revolutionary wars).

On a scale of hugger to 10-foot-pole, please rate your personal space: I am not the world’s biggest hugger; but that tends not to matter at these things because there is often no choice.

The unique talking point that will get you going for hours:
Sherlock Holmes, hymns, nautical history, the hero of my work-on-submission ( his name is Ray. He is a muckraker. I will not stop talking about him. Honest to Pete. I shall corner you and make you listen.).   Currently, I like talking about Almanzo Wilder.

Loved ones at home you’ll be missing: I live alone, such is the spinsterhood life to which I am accustomed.  I will miss my candles and my slippers and my tea. I will also miss Toronto. I love my city so much that even four days away can seem too long :-)

One or two ways we can help you build your platform? Find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram

14 comments:

Laurie Tomlinson said...

You are one of my favorites. Always and forever. I am happy to talk heroes with you for ages. Hopefully we can end up at the same table again this year, though I promise this time I won't accuse you of being sisters with Elizabeth Younts :)

Laurie Tomlinson said...

(Though I'd probably give my left kidney if someone accused me of being sisters with her because she's pretty and wonderful!)

Rachel said...

LOL yah! it is a big compliment! she is ADORABLE! (as are you )

Carol Moncado said...

Almonzo. Because... Well, Almonzo.

Amanda G Stevens said...

After reading this, I'd very much like to meet you, Rachel. And I'll listen to Ray's life story if you'll let me talk a bit about my hero. ;) (His name is Marcus and I am perfectly capable of talking about him for hours.)

We also have singleness in common (I will miss my cichlid aquarium and my bookshelves). And possibly an enjoyment of British TV?

Krista Phillips said...

I totally might squish you in the biggest hug ever just to be mean :-)

Kidding... kinda....

(and I, uh, had to look up Almanzo to see who the heck he is... don't hate me!)

Unknown said...

Yay! Another Ontario writer. Looking forward to meeting you at the conference.

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel! I love that you can't stop talking about Ray because I can't stop talking about my main dude Ky. I love him. My husband looks at me like I'm insane when I talk about him. Ray and Ky should have coffee sometime :)

Kelly Bridgewater said...

Hi Rachel! I love to talk about Sherlock Holmes. One of my favorite literary heroes. I can't wait to meet you.

Kara Isaac said...

Last year was your first ACFW? Seriously?! You were working it like a seasoned pro!

Erica Vetsch said...

Rachel, I can't wait to meet you. Your comment about the hugging totally nailed it! :)

And I can talk about Almanzo for hours...His parents' MN farm is about 30 minutes from where I live...and I've been to De Smet, SD. :)

Ashley Mays said...

Hahaha! Rachel, your voice is hysterical and I love it. Your tagline made me snort, and I think it's so funny that you missed all your sessions because you couldn't stop socializing. Really looking forward to meeting you if we're lucky enough to cross paths this year. :-)

Brandy Heineman said...

Your answers are a hoot, Rachel! I remember chatting with you briefly last year--hope to see you again! :)

Liz Johnson said...

Yay! I'll see you in a week and a half! Also, I'll only be a little bit crying because Jess won't be with us this year. Can't wait to see you!