Friday, December 28, 2012

Rachel's Favourite Books of the Year

Here we go! My favourite reads of the year. It was a good reading year for me. Well over 100 novels read (I lost count and don't keep track and don't review them all here, as you are aware )

Code Name Verity (Elizabeth Wein)

William Henry is a Fine Name (Cathy Gohlke)

Attachments (Rainbow Rowell

The Curse of the Narrows: The Halifax Explosion, 1917 (Laura M. MacDonald) I read this book specifically for research I am doing on a book I am writing of my own; but it was just so compelling and riddled with first hand accounts that it was enjoyable and disturbing and gripping in its own right.


At Drake's Command
(
David Wesley Hill) Review forthcoming shortly. This book came out of nowhere when the author contacted me about possibly reviewing. It is, without a doubt, the best piece of nautical fiction I have read since the Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey. Honestly, I have waited for years for a great new nautical series...and this is it! More later....


So LITERARY:
It's been a great year! Full of Charles Dickens and my own personal explorations of Ireland and Scotland during a lovely UK trip!

Outside the Conan Doyle Pub 


The Writer's Museum in Edinburgh
It's been a great year! Full of Charles Dickens and my own personal explorations of Ireland and Scotland during a lovely UK trip!


Also, it saw the release of my favourite novel in exceptional film form......




Happy New Year and Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Rissi said...

So glad you liked 'Les Mis' Rachel! When something is such a fave, it's hard when the adaptation is a let-down.

Anonymous said...

I will not read any of these books, but if I were a reader like you, I'd read them because I know that you have exquisite taste. I was so happy to see Les Mis with you...don't you fret, M. Marius, I don't feel any pain...
Thanks for the update!

Kailana said...

When I do a best of list, if I ever get to it, Code Name, Verity will be on mine, too!