Thursday, August 11, 2016

Catching Up on Reading: mini-reviews

THINGS I HAVE READ


A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn:   This series is giving the Lady Julia Grey books a run for their money. I am dashed fond of Veronica and Stoker and I love the Victorian sensibility as well as the undercurrent of adventure.  Sure, there is detection, but I read these for the smart quips and budding romance between our two leads.   If you are in the mood for perfect escapism, then this is a world you can lose yourself in.  Also, Raybourn's voice is snort-worthily wonderful.  LOVE !
note: review copy received from Netgalley


Charlotte Bronte: A Fiery Heart by Claire Harman:  I really enjoyed this book and it is probably one of my favourite Bronte biographies I have read. My favourite aspect was the time it spent with Charlotte in Brussels while she worked for the Heger family.  People like me who consider Villette their favourite Bronte book are usually fascinated by Bronte's years in Brussels and the unrequited love she harboured for M. Heger and his influence on Paul Emanuel.  I really loved this. Quite readable with an academic style and some wonderful photographs and illustrations.



When Falcons Fall by C.S. Harris   I really love the Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries. Moreso for the characters and setting than the actual mysteries themselves.   Also, can we give a shout-out to Hero who is probably one of the best heroines in any mystery running today? I enjoyed how this book took us from London and into Shropshire with a cozier feel than St. Cyr's usual metropolitan adventures. A hefty dose of romance helps keep these on my must-read list.



Bella and the Beast by Olivia Drake:  I requested this on netgalley because Beauty and the Beast retellings are Rachel catnip but I failed to fall for this one.   There was a decided lack of chemistry and the entire plot while wonderful in theory fell flat.



An Untimely Frost by Penny Richards
I am always looking for interesting new historicals featuring lady detectives and Richards' latest was a wonderful yarn!   I love how the Pinkerton agency allowed women to step out of their traditional roles and into the world of deduction.    The Victorian Chicago setting also worked really well for me and I am always beguiled by a splash of the theatrical which is deftly interwoven here.   I must confess that it took me a little while to get into this one --- but that is often the case at a start of a series as I begin to sink my teeth into the world, characters and story.  This was another netgalley read.





1 comment:

Kailana said...

Deanna Raybourn's new book sounds good. I really need to read her!