Monday, December 17, 2012

DICKENS DICKENS DICKENS DICKENS DICKENS

I have had the most amazing and informative weekend of Dickensian bliss.

Right now, at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, they are screening a multitude of Dickens films  in honour of the Bicentenary.




Since Thursday, Toronto has had the privilege of having Adrian Wootton ( late of the BFI and the curator of the Dickens and Film project) on hand to lecture and to introduce some of the fabulous and rare footage and films offered to avid Dickensians.

Thursday night, it started with the beautiful 1946 David Lean adaptation of Great Expectations; then continued Friday and Saturday with an array of lectures and screenings and.... oh my!

It  has been one of the highlights of my year. I enjoyed settling into Cinema 4 of the TIFF Bell Lightbox and immersing myself in all things Dickens.


As a precursor, I attended the Soulpepper Production of A Christmas Carol on Wednesday evening couched in the beautiful Victorian Christmas market.  At the same time, in the same place, the Word Festival 2012 celebrated Dickens with ongoing, voluntary reading of A Tale of Two Cities streamed everywhere in the world.

I will be writing about these lovely things in more detail; but wanted to check in on my blog readers and let them know that, yes, I DO live in the most magnificent city in the world.


WHAT LARKS!

No comments: